Hi Everyone, this is graphite, here to provide you some LAN prep tips!
Frequently, we ask people to prep their computer for LANs, be it patching computers to having their network properly setup, to simple things such as antivirus. Often, people either forget to do these things or don’t know exactly how. I’d like to go over some important ones!
Steps To Prep your computer for a LAN:
1. Backup your important files, bring install CD’s: If a LAN spreads a virus or the power trips, the worst could happen and you might need to do a reinstall. Bring your copy of Win7 (and network drivers!!) to the LAN. You’ll be thankful if you need to reinstall!
2. Update your computer: Have you ran windows update recently? Have you installed your latest graphics card drivers?
3: Cleaning your computer (Physically): When was the last time you looked inside your tower? Is there a small mountain of dust jamming up your heatsinks? Turn off the computer, lay it down, and carefully blow the air out with canned air or a compressor — outside or in the garage!
4: Cleaning your computer (Digitally): If you have Microsoft Security Essentials, Nod32, Norton, Endpoint, Kaspersky, you’ve got decent antivirus. Make sure it’s up to date. If you have avast/avg/avira/PANDA, please get something better. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and powerful.
5: Defrag & Optimize: Go get auslogics from ninite.com (actually, use ninite.com for most installers, its pretty rad!), do a full defrag & optimize on your C: Drive.
6: UPDATE! Make sure the games you’re coming to play open and run on your computer, does your SC2/BF2/TF2/LOL open and run fine on your computer?
7. CABLES: When going to the LAN, we _always_ see people who forget power cables/power bars, their monitor cable etc. Triple check that you’ve got all of your cables, heck bring a spare along!
8. Storage: Several hundred gigs of free space on your hard drive. Just incase you need to install some games on short notice.
9. Mousepad: Dont forget these, old wooden tables are not extremely comfortable mousing surfaces!
Steps to prep Yourself for the LAN:
1. A plan of who you want to sit with or near: Are your buddies going? Coordinate with them so you can all sit together!
2: Money for snacks: It’s a good idea to bring along some money for drinks & snacks!
3: A good night’s sleep: Seriously — the amount of people who come to our LAN already exhausted is alarming — you’re not going to have nearly as much fun if you’re not rested & relaxed.
4: Expectation to play pick-up with other people you meet at the LAN: if you get knocked out of a tourney — there’s likely someone else there who’ll play one of MANY games with you (in addition to the slew of servers we will have up and running), ask around, make friends and have fun!
Alright, that’s about it for now, see you on the 18th!